The English Language Learner Support teachers are responsible for assisting schools in providing for the educational needs of English Language Learners (ELLs).
Some of the services we provide may include:
* assess students who may be having difficulty in the classroom because their primary language is not English (ESL) or is a non-standard dialect (ESD);
* diagnose language related problems and help determine the needs of the student;
* assist in the development of a program or an Annual Eduction Plan (AEP) for each student, in consultation with Classroom Teachers, Learning Assistance Teachers, Educational Assistants, students and parents; write the AEP for all ELL students in the district
* provide support for EAs working with ELL/ESD students;
* work directly with students or small groups;
* help monitor progress and determine when ELL support can be terminated;
* provide, on request, training and in-service to school staffs working with ELL/ESD students;
* promote a positive attitude within SD 60 towards multiculturalism in general, and towards ELL/ESD students in particular.
Please remember that referrals should be made through the LAT.
The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts – CS Lewis
For more detailed information about our ELL department please click on link below